Sunday, November 28, 2010

Carrageenan and ulcerative colitis

I learned that Carrageenan is in EVERYTHING, practically.

This is an important finding because scientists use carrageenan to induce UC in lab mice. (sad, i know) But this finding has been helping me tremendously. I started drinking almond milk a couple of years ago, thinking that it was a good alternative to dairy. Almond milk has carrageenan in it, along with the other non dairy beverages such as soy. It is also in many Dairy items, and even toothpaste! FYI: Rice milk appears to be free of carrageenan. I started keeping the infamous food diary, and realized that this was one thing I seemed to consume on a regular basis. I had never kept a food diary before because I thought I could remember everything I ate and what happened after that. NOT the case. A diary is nice because you can look back as far as you need to see a pattern. VERY helpful for me. I have been suffering for years and was SICK and TIRED of it. I was not going to take the medication the doctor wanted me to, and just cover up the symptoms for a while and cause other health problems on top of that. I was searching one day and came across the carrageenan in lab mice thing, and felt this wave of relief, hoping I had hit it finally.

So with that being said it is day 10 with absolutely no almond milk or products with carrageenan in it, and I am feeling much better already. I am not having the urgency as bad as it was, and the blood, cramps, and mucus have discipated quite a bit. I also found that wild oregano oil is an excellent anti inflammatory along with cod liver oil. (high quality is important)  Check out http://www.youtube.com/user/jinithompson

She has given me some good advice as well. But the carrageenan is the KEY i believe.

If you happen to try this out and you have IBS, UC, Chron's, let me know. I'm very interested in this finding.

Happy digesting!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment